Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloading

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Windows CE Questions/Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teddy
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2000 12:16 am    Post subject: Downloading Reply with quote

Is it possible to download applications directly from the web to a WinCE device?
I own a Psion 5 and you can download programs and applications directly to it, but I heard that with WinCE you have to first dowload the program to your PC and then transfer it to your device.
Is this so?

Teddy
ChrisDeHerrera
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2000 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
It's up to the designer of the program. Basically, you can download an executeable and run it from your device. Some programs require more setup than this so the developer used a desktop installation program to move the files in the appropriate places.

quote:
Originally posted by Teddy:
Is it possible to download applications directly from the web to a WinCE device?
I own a Psion 5 and you can download programs and applications directly to it, but I heard that with WinCE you have to first dowload the program to your PC and then transfer it to your device.
Is this so?

Teddy

------------------
Chris De Herrera
Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
http://www.cewindows.net - The most complete set of FAQs on Windows CE
Teddy
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2000 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris!
I'm quite new to the WinCE world(as you might have guessed!)and I'm trying to learn before I get my new Ipaq

Getting back to my doubt...how do you know when you have to download it first to your PC?
Does the installation program tell you so?

Teddy
ChrisDeHerrera
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2000 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Most developers tell you before you download the program whether or not you must install it from a PC. Most applications are less than 100k that you can just copy on your Pocket PC so you can tell by the size of the app as well. Most desktop installs are about 500k or more.

quote:
Originally posted by Teddy:
Thanks Chris!
I'm quite new to the WinCE world(as you might have guessed!)and I'm trying to learn before I get my new Ipaq

Getting back to my doubt...how do you know when you have to download it first to your PC?
Does the installation program tell you so?

Teddy

------------------
Chris De Herrera
Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
http://www.cewindows.net - The most complete set of FAQs on Windows CE
Teddy
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2000 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris!!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Windows CE Questions/Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: