Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Processor

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Windows CE Questions/Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teddy
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2000 12:27 am    Post subject: Processor Reply with quote

Hi,
If someone could please help...

1.Why is it that the different processors under the hood of Win CE machines are not compatible? I mean, I'm quite new to the Win CE world(owner of a Psion 5)and have seen that generally when you download software they have to be specifically for the processor that you have in your machine...
2.I have been really very excited around all the hype about the pocket pc and will certainly buy one...but which? Will the most used processor be the choice? I read somewhere about strongarm(Jornada 820)and the lack of sofware for this processor. Why is this so?
Please enlighten me!!!
Thanks!
ChrisDeHerrera
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2000 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Here's the scoop. Microsoft supports multiple processors so manufacturers can decide what they want to support. The 2 contenders are Mips and SH3. Every other processor type (SH4, StrongARM) have only one device so there's not alot of software for them.

quote:
Originally posted by Teddy:
Hi,
If someone could please help...

1.Why is it that the different processors under the hood of Win CE machines are not compatible? I mean, I'm quite new to the Win CE world(owner of a Psion 5)and have seen that generally when you download software they have to be specifically for the processor that you have in your machine...
2.I have been really very excited around all the hype about the pocket pc and will certainly buy one...but which? Will the most used processor be the choice? I read somewhere about strongarm(Jornada 820)and the lack of sofware for this processor. Why is this so?
Please enlighten me!!!
Thanks!

------------------
Chris De Herrera
Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
http://www.cewindows.net - The most complete set of FAQs on Windows CE
marlof
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2000 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

although that might change, with Compaq rumored to have chosen StrongArm for their iPaq PocketPC.

Let's wait until after April 19 and see then. I think your NDA on hardware subjects will be lifted then too Chris, so maybe you can inform us a little bit more.

Marlof Bregonje
Teddy
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2000 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for explaining...but anyway...why would for example compaq put a a strongarm processor knowing there aren't many programs for it?
marlof
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2000 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's the best choice available for CE 3.0?

Do not forget that not much is known to the public about hardware specifications on the new PocketPC's. As HP already once chose for the strongarm, they might do it again on their PocketPC. That would make 2 large suppliers, and the software will follow.

The compiling of the software for a new processor is presumably not that much a deal, all the programmers need is a reason to do it. The PocketPC's might be the answer to that one.

Marlof Bregonje
Teddy
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input guys! Can't wait to grab a pocket pc...only 9 days to come!!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Windows CE Questions/Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: