Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket Word substitute?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Casio Cassiopeia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Commanderraf
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Pocket Word substitute? Reply with quote

Greetings to all,

I'm trying to find some substitute word processing program for my Cassiopeia E-125. I know it already has Pocket Word, but I'm trying to find something more... fleshed out. Something more to what SpreadCE (http://www.byedesign.co.uk/) is to PocketExcel.

Google-ing (is that the right spelling? Is it even a word?) I found about Softmaker Office, but it seems that they didn't make a version of their suite for MIPS processors or for Windows CE 3.0.

Anyone knows of an alternative? What I'm most interested is in modifying the page sizes and other paragraph settings, which PocketWord doesn't have.

Thanks in advance.

-Commanderraf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftMaker did work for a couple of years at least on MIPS/Casio PPC versions of TextMaker. I know, as I tested extensively with my Casio EG-800 and reported errors to SoftMaker to help out. Unfortunately they kept running into bugs with the supplied MIPS compiler, and were forced to give up as they were not able to make reliably stable versions. Or that is my imperfect understanding of the situation, anyway. The last version was TextMaker 2002, and while it worked quite well on the Casio (same processor as your E-125), it took a very long time (almost a minute) to load from a CF card. And of course there is not enough RAM in a Casio to install TextMaker there. Once running, TextMaker would often run quite well, if a bit sluggish in response to input, but sometimes would fail to save documents. Further, if one turned off the device with TextMaker running then turned it back on, the program would spontaneously crash, losing any un-saved documents. That had to do with the poor initialization of and power supply to the CF slot.

But if you still wish to try TextMaker 2002, you can find copies in places other than the SoftMaker site. Here's one reliable source for the demo version so you can try it before deciding whether to proceed in a purchase:
http://www.tucows.com/preview/300531
SoftMaker themselves no longer offer links on their site for downloading this.

As per this forum posting two years ago - http://www.softmaker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5664 - it seems possible that SoftMaker will send you a download link to the full MIPS version if you follow their instructions, purchasing the latest CE version after contacting them about your actual desire for a MIPS version. I recommend thoroughly testing with the trial version first, as you may like it but then find it unusable due to stability or memory problems.
Commanderraf
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your prompt answer Gerard.

I downloaded the program from the Twocows link you provided, but when trying to install it on my E-125, the installer states that "Your screen must be at least 640*240 pixels large. If you are installing to a Pocket PC, you got the wrong program!".

About a month ago I asked directly at the Softmaker forums for a version of their suite that would work on my PDA, and their answer was that they couldn't provide any version of their software that ran on my device (http://www.softmaker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6320&p=25869#p25869).

Do you know of any similar program?

-Commanderraf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owe you an apology; it seems all the Google results I found earlier, and from which I picked this link to offer you, are referencing HPC or CE versions, not Pocket PC. Close, but no cigar. It seems you would have to do a lot of digging to find a working PPC installer of TextMaker 2002 for a MIPS machine. I know some users have begged SoftMaker directly for this, but they have not provided the old trial version in recent years.
Commanderraf
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Gerard

Don't worry about the apologies, after so many help you have provided over the years, I should be the one apologising to you.

Isn't there any software word processing software -besides the Softmaker one- out there? Or am I stuck having to use Pocket Word and JPWce in a rather awkward tandem?

All the best.

-Commanderraf
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems Westtek no longer supplies ClearVue Document Professional, but perhaps you could follow that up and find a way to register a copy downloaded elsewhere with Westtek to get it working. There's a download here for instance:
http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/Word-Processing-Text-Tools/Document-Viewer/ClearVue-Document-Professional-for-Pocket-PC-10233.shtml
If you try that and find it workable - and it seems to offer Japanese language support - then perhaps Westtek would sell you a registration code. Hard to guess. I have never used this program, but have tried JetPrint and certain other Westtek programs which were supplied as crippled versions with my Toshiba PPC. Couldn't stand them so that was a short trial. Apparently Westtek has been pursuing OEM-included and 'vertical' market options as their direct-to-end-user record is somewhat pathetic.

Other than that, there may be a simpler notepad-like program such as CKE or some other simpler word processor which also supports your JAIME sort of device setup. As I've tried that stuff many years ago and found the registry and driver changes made my device unstable, it is not something I'm willing to test again. My wife's Japanese, and I was trying to enable Japanese language email and such for her while we are away from her big notebook... didn't work out, mostly because fonts seemed never to display fully, making reading and especially writing very difficult.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Casio Cassiopeia Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: