Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Pocket PC owner needs help!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Compaq iPAQ Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geminiqueen
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: New Pocket PC owner needs help! Reply with quote

I just bought a compaq pocket pc 3650 with no manual - just the pc and cradle. So - I have questions. I believe I need a expansion pack and extra memory. Also a ac adapter. But my real question is how to I get internet on this thing? I have cable internet through the house. What do I need to do or buy to get internet service or connect it to what I have?

Any help will be appreciated!!!!! Very Happy
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need an expansion sleeve, either CF or PC card, and then a wireless card and of course a wireless access point installed to your home cable network. So you would need to do some research into which Wi-Fi cards are available which are compatible with your rather old (about 8 years or so) model of PPC, then make a choice. There are SD wireless cards these days, but I don't think there were any SD expansion sleeves, so you'd need a top-loading (slot in the exposed, top part) CF to SD adapter for one of those. Better probably to buy a CF wireless card, then either use that in a CF sleeve or with a PC to CF adapter card. The SparkLAN or Meritline cards would probably work, or perhaps a Symbol.

Then you have software to worry about, for compatibility. Not a lot of today's hardware has software drivers supplied with it for such old devices. You might want to hunt down a rather older model of wireless card, one which also comes with a driver CD containing software specifically for Pocket PC 2000 devices (ie; pre-WM2002). And of course you'd install the ARM version of any such software, as that's the type of processor in that iPAQ.

Another option would be to get a wired Ethernet CF adapter, if you don't mind plugging into your home network with the iPAQ. Socket and Symbol both made those.

As for memory expansion, unless you get a dual-sleeve you will have to swap out the memory card and the wireless card as you need them. A dual-sleeve is usually quite big, and you might have to get one with a battery in it as well to run the wireless card, depending on the card type - though this is most likely to be a problem with a Wi-Fi PC size card and adapter sleeve, as these run on 5volts and a PPC slot or sleeve can only supply about 3.3volts as I recall. There used to be a dual CF sleeve called a MemPlug - I used one for a couple of years with a 3835 until it started failing to recognise cards randomly - which is actually just as slim as most single CF sleeves. Nice thing, too bad it had hardware problems. One slot was memory-only, though I found it sometimes recognised I/O devices, the other was made to be I/O and could be used with a camera or modem.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Compaq iPAQ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: