Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quality Refills

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> StylusCentral.com Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think of the "Standard Multipen Refills" Stylus Central keeps recommending to people in all posts asking about refills?
They're great!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
They're acceptable.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
They'll work only until I find something better.
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
I threw them away after the first use.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

GreggS
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Quality Refills Reply with quote

I love the Cross Penatia Allwrite 4 in one multipens I buy from you. However, the Schmidt refills you recommend for them are of significantly lower quality than the original ink cartridges. The black ink is much lighter and skips a lot. The originals were nice and bold and smooth.

Do you have any other refills that would be of comparable quality to the original Cross cartridges in these pens?

If not, can anyone recommend where I can find good quality multipen cartridges with smooth, bold, black ink?
pwjone1
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have over the years bought quite a few multipens and refills, and generally it' is a matter of personal preference, but I personally prefer the Lamy refills. They fit most of the multipens, so can be used in a number of places, including I would assume your Cross. With some exceptions, it seems like a lot of multipens are made by the same outfit, which appears to be a Japanese company called Platinum or something equivalent, sometimes made in China (depending on the vintage). Yafa was one of the first to market the multipens in the U.S. I would assume the Cross/Penatia Multi-function pen comes from the same place, more or less, as the layout and release mechanism are very similar.

Have a look at:

http://www.yafa.com/catalog/page30.shtml

and you can see a certain family resemblence, I think. The only multipens that seem to fall outside of this family are the Lamy and some of the Rotrings, plus an odd Schafer and some others (recently, there seem to be some non-branded Chinese multipens out and around at the computer fairs)

It would be interesting really to figure out who all makes the various pens, in reality, as there appears to be a lot of branding going on, relabeling and so forth. Cross clearly isn't the company anymore that just makes those heavy silver and gold bank pens, they're into a lot of other new stuff, as are others. But I think a lot of the multipens are sourced via Yafa/Platinum, and at least from the Yafa web-site, there appears to be some affinity there with Schmidt. So I suspect Syluscentral in offering Schmidt refills, is just going back to the OEM. But Styluscentral does offer a number of other refills, so let me outline my experience there. Granted, tough to say who's really making the refills, and if some of this might not just be variation from lot to lot (or fine point vs medium).

Yafa (I would assume this is also Schmidt, in terms of refills)

OK, tends a bit towards fine point, runs a bit dry (skips w/o blobs)

Fisher:

Tends to write better than most on yellow-sticky pads, but blobs frequently, tends to skip on occaision. Some Fisher refills seem to be very similar to Yafa (variations, as it were).

Kon-i-nor (Rotring)

Generally tends a bit towards medium, otherwise similar to the Yafa. Somewhat variable.

Lamy

Not particularly good on 3M sticky pads, but otherwise writes smoothly, has probably the best high-end feel to it. Here's the Syluscentral link:

http://www.styluscentral.com/lammulpenbal.html

Runs about $2/refill.

So, I would generally pick Lamy. It's not perfect, but it is among the better options. It's also not cheap, so ironically, you might spend more for 3-4 refills for a 4 function multipen then the pen cost originally. I suppose it's redundant then to point out that occaisonally the Cross goes quite cheaply, so if you love the pen refills that came with that, certainly you could consider just buy the pen again (some of the Styluscentral deals on multiplens are really good right now, for example:

http://www.styluscentral.com/al4inonebyat.html

your Cross is going for $4.89, which is pretty hard to beat.)

One of the things I love about Styluscentral is that for the U.S., they have a much wider selection, so you could actually try the various refills, and see what you like best. Granted, they don't seem to currently have the full Lamy line of Multipens, I saw a lot more in Switzerland/Germany on various trips, but they do stock the refills, and sevice is very prompt.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> StylusCentral.com Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Copyright 2001-2010, Chris De Herrera, All Rights Reserved