Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPaq 3765 internet connection

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Compaq iPAQ Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billscout
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: iPaq 3765 internet connection Reply with quote

Hello,
A friend of mine said her brother couldn't get his iPaq Pocket PC 3765 to work anymore and didn't want it. I, of course, said I would take it. I know nothing about these things but I do know about computers. It turned out that the battery was bad. I replaced the battery and it is up and running. Anyway, what I have is the Pocket PC (obviously), a sleeve for it, and an Aironet 4800 card which fits in the sleeve. I have been able to sync the PPC to my computer but I cannot get the card to work. When I turn it on, or connect the sleeve or card to the PPC, the following message pops up:
"Enter the name of the device driver for this card. For information, see the card manufacturer's documentation."

I have no documentation on this unit and, because it is slightly outdated, I have been having trouble finding this information online. I've played around with the settings but it keeps asking for a phone number. Is this thing a dial-up? How does this work....and how do I get it to connect to the internet with this card? PLEASE....this is driving me nuts and I have wasted pretty much the entire day trying to make it work.
ChrisDeHerrera
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Cisco now owns the Aironet line. So you can download the drivers from their website. However you need to know the operating system of the iPAQ. I believe that the drivers were for Pocket PC 2002.

Also, since you inserted the card prior to installing the drivers, you need to perform a hard reset. This will erase all your data.
http://www.tabletpctalk.com - Get the latest Tablet PC News
http://www.pocketpctalk.com - Get the latest Pocket PC News
http://www.mobilitytalk.com - Quickly view all the Pocket PC & Tablet PC News on one page
billscout
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info...but how do I do a hard reset?
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that model, probably hold down the power button and press the stylus into the soft reset hole at the same time and hold them both for a few seconds. This should either bring up an 'are you sure you want to...' dialogue with instructions or just fully hard reset and wipe all user data. The exact button sequence varies somewhat with some devices, but that two-button method is the most common one.
billscout
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...I think I have it reset, as all of my information and settings are gone. I have already downloaded the drivers for the card, now how do I install them on the PPC? Is there a program that installs it when the unit is connected or do I have to save the driver onto the PPC and somehow link it?
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on the file type(s) of the driver(s) you have downloaded. If it's an EXE file or a folder full of files with one called 'setup.exe' or something, then that's most likely a PC-based installer. In that sort of case you will need to install Activesync (or on a more recent PC OS it'll be the Windows Mobility Center or something like that, probably already installed in Vista or Windows 7), then connect the iPAQ to the PC via USB or something, then run the setup program and follow the prompts.

If on the other hand you have a CAB file, then that should be tapped in File Explorer on the device itself to launch it. CAB files are sort of like installers and archives at the same time, a bunch of files inside the CAB are directed to their appropriate installed locations on unpacking, which is triggered by a stylus tap on the device. You can launch a CAB from any location, whether in main memory or a card, as it makes no difference to how it installs.
billscout
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I can cover the details on this the best I can. I am using a Win XP computer and I downloaded "4800 Win XP Bundle 2". There are CAB files in there and I tried saving them on the PPC and then clicking on them. The PPC said that the file is not a valid Windows CE Setup file. When I download the installers from Cisco, they keep saying that no device has been installed or no device has been found, even though the cradle is plugged into the wall and the computer, via USB. I've reset the PPC a few times now but still can't get it to work.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC-based installers often come in packages where there are a couple of CAB files, but these are not intended to be launched on the PPC, rather they supply data for the setup.exe file to use in installing, in creating intermediate CAB files (or not sometimes) for installation on the PPC. Is there an EXE also in the same kit? Have you tried launching that on the PC?

It could also be that you have not downloaded the correct version of the CAB files, if they are in fact PPC-intended CABs. There are several versions of PPC OS and they are often not cross-compatible in software versions. If a CAB is for WM5 or later, and one tries to run it on a WM2002 or WM2003SE or whatever, it will usually give an error like that.

If your PC cannot see the device, then either you have USB hub problems and should use a USB connection directly in the PC, or you have a firewall blocking the connection and need to make a firewall exception for the device/Activesync, or lastly it could be a hardware or software fault in the connection or the PC. There are many, many possibilities in terms of troubleshooting as there are so many variables in hardware and software. I'd suggest looking into the Activesync FAQ here:
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/activesync/mis.htm

Or... you could follow what I and a lot of anti-Activesync types do, and try whatever you can to get CAB files. It could be for instance that if there is a setup EXE in the folder you could run that, and while it's still open, before getting quite to the install on device part, look around in your TEMP folders wherever you can find them (in Windows, in the User folders) to find any temporarily unpacked CAB files which might be intended for your device.
billscout
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried all I can think to try. I've downloaded a few files and tried them....no go. I have the activesync program going and it has two .net programs to run on the PPC but when I run them, the PPC says that they are not compatible with this version of Windows CE. I wish I knew more about what I am doing on this thing. I think my best move might be to take it somewhere and have someone else try to get it to connect for me. Anyone know someone who can help? Do regular computer stores know about these? How about the Geek Squad? Never used them before but, as I said, this thing is killing me trying to get it to work. The only thing I've found it useful for is playing solitaire. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has any simple to follow instructions, I might be willing to give it another go but I have a feeling that I'm a bit out of my league on this thing. Computers, yes; this damn thing....not looking very good.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having no experience with that particular iPAQ, whatever sleeve you're using, nor that Cisco card, all I can suggest now is reading this page for what it's worth:
https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wlan_adapter/350_cb20a/user/win_ce/release/notes/ce222rn.html
Might find something of use there. If it's proving to be too much hassle, you might consider getting a different card. Perhaps a SparkLAN or MeritLine or other CF type card, with CF>PC adapter card if needed. Sometimes it's merely a power problem when using a PCMCIA type card, as they are really designed for use with a notebook PC's generally higher-powered card slot. But investing too much time and/or money in the project might just be a worst bet than buying a newer device, perhaps used from a craigslist or eBay seller, with built-in Wi-Fi. There are lots of those around for under $100.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Compaq iPAQ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: