Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help- Pocket PC 2003

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Compaq iPAQ Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k.o.d
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Help- Pocket PC 2003 Reply with quote

How do you connect the Pocket PC to the BT home hub? My iPAQ can see it and has asked for the wep code, but then says it has no network card fitted!

Help for an old duffer would be appreciated

Cheers
Steve
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems you're a bit mixed up about Bluetooth and 802.11 wireless technologies. BT, or Bluetooth, is a short-range secure wireless protocol with dedicated hardware (chip, antenna, software to run them) for use between computers and other computers or between computers and accessories, or even between phones and earpieces. It is NOT the same thing as 802.11 (with b, g, or n suffixes depending on the generation), otherwise known as Wi-Fi. It sounds a bit like you're trying to connect to a home router via Bluetooth, which isn't likely... but then again you say it's showing WEP is enabled and that's not something you'd see with Bluetooth.

I'd suggest reading this tutorial, or at least skimming it to find out the basics. Sounds like maybe your PPC has Wi-Fi, but perhaps it's turned off by a hardware switch or not enabled in software... or maybe some other problem is in the way of connecting. Letting us know what sort of PPC it is would help, as we can hunt down the specifications and see if indeed that model has Wi-Fi included. Here's the tutorial:
http://wifi.aximsite.com/wifi-faq.html
Don't worry about the 'Axim' stuff; these things apply with subtle variations to just about any PPC brand and model with wireless built-in or using an added wireless card.
k.o.d
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerard, thank you for the reply.

Am a total duffer when it comes to IT, will bring the iPAQ to work with me tomorrow so I can give you the details.
I understood the difference between bluetooth and wifi, and it sees the two homehubs networks we have, and asks for the wep key, but then says it cannot connect to the network as there is no network card fitted, which seems strange as it has already identified the network.

Thanks again

Steve
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, that part is very odd. But it could just be that you are getting a useless DHCP assignment or none at all. In general the recommendation goes that if you are having trouble connecting to a wireless access point, the first thing to do is disable security and try connecting. Of course you should disconnect any computers from the AP which have shared folders, or even if they don't, it's probably a good idea to at least make sure any firewalls are functioning and such. Then if your PPC is able to connect without security enabled, you have learned that the WEP is the problem and you will need to learn some things about connecting the PPC with security enabled.

For my part, I've never been able to connect a single PPC to a single AP with even low security settings at home. Away from home I have managed to connect to a couple over the years, but thankfully there are lots of open access points around my city so it's not usually difficult to find a signal. I keep my home router open, as do a couple of my neighbours, though at least a dozen APs in my block are secured. I have tried with three different brands of wireless router, connecting to two different ISPs (one DSL, one cable), but no tricks seem to work so I must leave mine open. Since that leaves my connection vulnerable to certain inconsiderate individuals (students next door, who like to stream movies and download large files via my connection between drunken parties), I regularly check who's logged in and ban their MAC addresses from my router. About once per week one of these nice people spoofs a new, slightly different address, and I ban them again. Wish life could be simpler in this regard but so it goes.

If you read some of the points in that FAQ and try a few things on the PPC you might find it working. Something not mentioned there nor just about anywhere else is that with the PPC, once in a while one gets 'stuck' with a false and useless IP address starting with 169., and there is no way to connect with this. None of the DHCP release/renew applications I've found (Cambridge utilities, Pocket DHCP, others I'm forgetting) seem able to release this particular string. So what I've done when saddled with such devices (it's happened to me with four different brands of PPC, fortunately not with my current HTC Touch Elfin), I have had to go into the registry and find strings beginning with 169. and manually edit them to something in my router's DHCP assignment range. Usually a router's default range goes between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.10, sometimes all the way up to 192.168.0.30, and sometimes the range doesn't begin until 192.168.0.10. Whatever the case for you, it's easy enough to find (any decent registry editor has a search function - I like the one included with Resco Explorer) the two or three locations in the registry where the 169. appears just replace that data with a proper address. After that, or perhaps after a soft reset, connecting should work if that was the problem in the first place.

There are other tricks, such as choosing 'internet' rather than 'work' in your connection settings or making sure that power saving is not enabled in your wireless setup, but these are mostly covered in that FAQ.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Compaq iPAQ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: