Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IPaq 3765 - simultaneous serial and USB?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Compaq iPAQ Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwh123
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: IPaq 3765 - simultaneous serial and USB? Reply with quote

I recently received a 3765 PDA with the Navman 3450 GPS sleeve on it.

I have had very little time to work with it beyond turning it on a few times and seeing that the mapping software (Pocket CoPilot) works, and my only PDA experience so far is on the Palm platform, but I have a few questions:

Is it possible to communicate with both USB and RS-232 at the same time? Looking at the pinout of the 12-pin connector, it should be possible from that aspect. I imagine I would need to cobble together a custom cable - one iPaq connector with one USB cable plus one serial cable - to do this.

Is the iPaq only able to use RS-232 to sync to a desktop, or can it use RS-232 to communicate with other serial equipment?

Likewise, what about USB? I understand the iPaq does not have a USB Host controller, so I can't go plugging it into a USB printer or card reader, for example. But can I tether to a computer and send continuous data from a program on the iPaq, to the computer? Or is the USB only usable for the sync program?

I'm considering using a program (Franson GPSGate) to 'split' or 'rebroadcast' the GPS NMEA data stream. I first need to find out how the Navman communicates with software on the iPaq, and then see if I can use GPSGate to intercept the Navman's data stream and re-broadcast the NMEA stream to RS-232. I may also be interested in doing the same over USB.

This is for use with an amateur (ham) radio accessory, where you can transmit your position over the air, and also receive the location of others in your vicinity. This ham radio protocol is called APRS, for anyone interested. The hardware I want to connect the iPaq to takes RS232 NMEA data in, and processes the position info (and other information such as my callsign) into audio tones which are fed to the microphone jack of a radio transmitter.

Thanks for the help,
John
HiTechRedNeck
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the ipaq can support USB and serial at the same time. my first thought is "no" due to the fact that even in activesync, only one connection is open at a time. you would have to modify the software on the PC and PPC to give multiple occurences of the connect at the same time... so if it were hacked, it may be possible.

yes you are correct, the ipaq doesn't have a USB controller. but I've just rescently started to adapt a USB controller/hub into either the RS232 port inside an expansion sleeve or add one via PCMCIA. I have all the HP/Ipaq wiring schematics (for expansion pack development), but I'm still sorting through all the stuff I have. I think it's very possible to add a mini USB port to the side edge of an existing expansion sleeve.

NEMA is a standard data stream from a serial port after the port is active. it would possible to write/modify a GPS driver that not only allows the stream to flow to the NAV software, but also copy the stream to another port for output... yes that could work with the write code.

just a thought, but if you can't get what you need done as far as hacking/programming for WM, you could even consider a linux flash or even a WM/linux dual boot on the ipaq... I've heard of those who have done it, but not seen it first hand. I installed linux on my first ipaq years ago, and I thought is was a good alternative then... but I've been out of the game for a while and just getting back in.

good luck...
ChrisDeHerrera
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The iPAQs were designed to provide either serial or usb connections but not both at the same time.

if you really want to use the USB and serial at the same time, Socket communications used to sell a serial port compactflash card however you would also need a compactfash sleeve,
http://www.tabletpctalk.com - Get the latest Tablet PC News
http://www.pocketpctalk.com - Get the latest Pocket PC News
http://www.mobilitytalk.com - Quickly view all the Pocket PC & Tablet PC News on one page
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Compaq iPAQ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: