Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Akku and CF slot

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Compaq iPAQ Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricF
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Akku and CF slot Reply with quote

I cannot find the Akku in my iPAQ-PDA. There are no screws or other places, that I could open anyhow. Sad Crying or Very sad Who knows where the akku or the CF-slot is? Question Question
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you do not mention the model of your iPAQ, it is not possible to say whether or not it even has a CF slot. Many iPAQ models did not have such a card slot, though some did such as the 2210. If your model has a CF slot, it will measure at least 3.3mm wide by about 38mm long and be on the upper edge of the PDA. Many of the earlier iPAQ models used a CF card or other cards via a 'sleeve' which was purchased separately and slipped onto the back of the device.

As for the Akku, I searched and found that in some language(s) this means 'rechargeable battery.' In the iPAQ models I have seen, there are usually 4 small machine screws on the back of the device which use a Torx driver to remove them. The battery will be inside, connected with a somewhat tricky ribbon cable connector. It is very easy to break this when trying to disconnect it from the battery. Likewise the cable itself is easily damaged. But with some caution in opening the parts and examining them, the job can be done without specialized tools or skills. New batteries can be found on eBay and other sites, providing you search for the model number of your iPAQ specifically. The battery will probably look like a flattened silver pillow, or envelope, and should be handled with care so that no folds or dents are made in it.
EricF
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: 3870 Reply with quote

I have got Model 3870. It had a plastic cover around itself. But I figured out now, that I can remove it from the device. There are six screws on the back but they unfortunately have starlike slits for the screwdriver. Maybe I can get fitting equipment at the store today and find out if there is a rechargeable battery inside. Smile
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Lithium Ion battery inside, as I described earlier. The 'star' screws are called Torx. A normal slot screwdriver of the correct size will work, if you are careful to keep pressure on it while undoing the screws. The 3870 is identical in hardware to my old 3835 (no longer with us, RIP), and I did change to a new battery once when the original could only hold about half an hour of charge. A replacement brought that up to about 3 hours. Not very impressive, but usable at least.

The main things to watch for in changing the battery on that unit are the ribbon cables. Of course there are other parts which can be broken or lost in disassembly, but the ribbon connectors are the most fragile. So be very careful when prying it apart that these are not pulled hard or folded or cut.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Compaq iPAQ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: