Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPAQ 4350 - read/write error - help please

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Compaq iPAQ Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mindovermatter65
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: iPAQ 4350 - read/write error - help please Reply with quote

Microsoft Pocket PC Version 4.20.0 (build 13252)
Processor: Intel PXA255
Memory 56.77 MB
OS Version: Windows CE 4.20
Product ID hp iPAQ h4350

I have had this PPC since 2003 and I use it all the time. All of a sudden it has a problem that causes it to do a soft reboot every time you open anything! I did a Self-Test and failed the read/write file portion. But I can not find anything that tells me how to fix this problem. I opened the disk that came with the PPC (For the first time) thinking it was the OS and I could repair and drivers that became currupted over time, but the HP disk just had MS Outlook & a few other useless things on it. (grrrr)

How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, I hope for your sake that you have good, known-to-work backups of your data. That's because a hard reset, which returns your device to 'factory' OS conditions, will wipe all your personal data and files, any programs you may have installed and registered, etc. If you do not, then try to backup your data somehow. If the soft reset problem prevents this... well, you've lost everything anyway it seems, as the device will not allow you to use it.

So hard reset. This is done in various ways depending on the device model, but it is most frequently done by pressing the soft reset hole with the stylus and while still holding that internal button press the power button for a few seconds. This will either automatically hard reset, wiping all your data, or it will bring up a requestor asking if you really wish to wipe all data and indicating the next button to push to either okay or deny that operation.

There is no OS install disk, as Pocket PCs do not have CD players built in. Rather, the OS is in stable flash ROM and is always there underlying the user data, recoverable via a hard reset. Of course one can re-flash a device with an OS upgrade in some cases, but this requires special operations and is not something you could do accidentally, just as you cannot accidentally wipe the original OS.
mindovermatter65
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: iPAQ 4350 - read/write error - help please Reply with quote

Thanks! - I'll give that a shot. Is there a way to run a scandisk or defrag on the PPC? I don't know if that helps but I do that on my laptop & computer.

Also I have never rec'd updates to the PPC OS - like MS does on regular PC's, I am always downloading updates on the PC's. Am I supposed to go somewhere for updates the a PPC OS?

Thanks Again!
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, and no. So far as I know, there is no tool for defragmenting memory on a PPC. There are a few programs designed to find and fix errors in the registry or elsewhere, but these are a bit hit and miss in my experience. Pocket Mechanic seems to be about the most reliable, but it brings certain dangers if used without full understanding of the possible consequences of actions. I recommend performing a full device backup to external media before running any such tools. I do sometimes use SoftWinter's Storage Tools to perform error checks and defrags on my phone's memory card, but not often, maybe once every year. This software works well for cards but cannot work on main device memory, which really doesn't need such maintenance. Regular soft resets should clear the cobwebs enough for smooth operation. I recommend a soft reset once a day whether you need it or not. Just be sure to save any open docs before doing that - since programs can run in the background without you noticing this can slip by, costing you data if you don't save work in progress.

And while Microsoft does release the odd OS update for Windows Mobile devices they do not do so in the form of small patches. Rather they release full OS updates to the manufacturers and to telcos which distribute devices, and these companies have the option to pass such updates along to customers or not. In your case you'd have to check with HP for updates. But considering the age of your device, I doubt there is an update available now. And that model would not be able to run WM5 or later anyway, as the way memory hardware works changed substantially after WM2003SE.
mindovermatter65
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Thanks again Reply with quote

I know it's considered 'old' but I just use it in the bedroom to look things up online quickly or to play scrabble with my husband or poker online. It's great when it works, hopefully I can get it running again.

Thanks
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Compaq iPAQ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: