Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pocketpc memor allocation

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Casio Cassiopeia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peteb
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: pocketpc memor allocation Reply with quote

is there any way of changing the maximum amount of external memory the pocket PC OS can access?
i have a siemens SX45 running a 1Gb CF and have been also using a 2gb Micro SD with adaptor, it at present with aftermarket software only see's the 2gb card as 1gb, is there a way of changing the registry / system value to access more of the memory?
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend partitioning the 2GB card in as close to two equal portions as your favourite partitioning software will allow. I used to use a couple of CF cards partitioned with my Casio EG-800, not for the same reason as they were only 128 and 256MB, but rather because I wanted small, isolated backup locations infrequently written to. Anyway, the Casio had no problem seeing these locations as separate memory cards in the file system. Might work for your microSD.
ChrisDeHerrera
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The limitation is actually in the driver. So unless there's a software update, what you see is what you get.
http://www.tabletpctalk.com - Get the latest Tablet PC News
http://www.pocketpctalk.com - Get the latest Pocket PC News
http://www.mobilitytalk.com - Quickly view all the Pocket PC & Tablet PC News on one page
peteb
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: pocketpc memory allocation Reply with quote

Gerard wrote:
I would recommend partitioning the 2GB card in as close to two equal portions as your favourite partitioning software will allow. I used to use a couple of CF cards partitioned with my Casio EG-800, not for the same reason as they were only 128 and 256MB, but rather because I wanted small, isolated backup locations infrequently written to. Anyway, the Casio had no problem seeing these locations as separate memory cards in the file system. Might work for your microSD.

i tried partitioning the card under linux. it worked, but the pocket pc only see's one partition (2 x 1Gb partitions) . this repeats itself when you plug the card into a laptop it only see's one partition, one being the master the other is only seen when you got into a linux distro and change the master to slave so to speak. when in the pocket pc's device manager there are several disks two of them are the rom and ram the other being the CF and or SD that the pocketpc has (i believe there was an update to alloow the CF and SD cards to be accessed simultaneously (havent found that yet).
i belive that windows does not allow partitioning of a memory card...not sure why?
from what i understand it is the memory reference that it looks for in the memory pages, the larger disks being more negative number. so surely it wuold be changeable in the registry?
I currently run Total commander (see's 1gb as the SD card)
novosec pocket facelift (shows the card as a bigger, but no size shown, (i have 300meg left on card (my 1gb partition, so in reality its 1.3 gb empty) but over 3/4 of the card is showng as empty on the little usage bar??)
any suggestions would be great
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I follow your explanations as to what is happening in the device... but it sounds like it does not matter, as the device is not capable of 'seeing' more than one inserted volume at a time. If it cannot read both the SD and CF cards at the same time, then it would seem somewhat logical that it would also fail to read two partitions on the same CF card at the same time. This would be a failure of the device maker, perhaps in hardware, though perhaps as you say there is a patch in software to make it work.

As for Windows not creating partitions, well, no. There are several softwares for Windows which sell quite well, specifically made for managing and creating partitions. Partition Magic is one of the biggest sellers, and it does what it says it does. Of course I am not recommending that you purchase such an expensive software just to test it on your card, but if there is a trial version to download perhaps that would allow you to do the job. But again, if the device is the problem, not the partition size, forget about doing all this. If it is a limitation of your device then you will have to live with that, and use multiple cards if that's possible, or buy a different device which will do the job. A Toshiba e800 or e830 for example has no trouble seeing both slots or large volumes on CF cards.
CE Geek
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this issue is specific to SD cards. We've had some discussions over at HPC:Factor about the same issue with core Windows CE .net 4.x devices like the NTT DoCoMo Sigmarion III. If you place the SD card in a CF card adapter and insert that in the CF card slot, I believe the full volume will show up on the device. (This should even work with SDHC cards.) Of course, that still leaves an SD slot in the device that can't overcome this problem. And if you're going to use the CF slot anyway, why not get a CF card in the first place? As I understand it, CF cards are more reliable than SD cards - yet the market for them continues to shrink as people look for storage media with smaller and smaller physical sizes.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, people are looking for smaller storage cards? And here I thought that phenomenon was being driven by greedy manufacturers, who need to crank out some new format every year or two to get consumers to buy 'fresh' devices. Silly me. For my part, I've a little box full of CF cards I'd be happy to have use for, but sadly they won't fit in my Asus netbook nor in my phone. I really had hoped CF was here to stay. Then again, I've had several device CF slots fail from over-use. The cards themselves are fairly durable (only seen two fail in 9 years, a Lexar and a Sandisk), but the soldering of the pins to the motherboards is not always rock solid. Those in the Casio EG-800 were a classic example of this, with the CF slot on that device failing for many users after fairly normal use, swapping CF accessory cards regularly but not 'excessively.'

But I'm stuck with a phone now which uses a practically un-swappable memory card, a microSD. Not only is the card itself insanely easy to lose (don't sneeze or it's just gone), but the door to gain access to it is likely to snap off my thumbnail trying to open the silly thing. My current phone's an HTC Touch Elfin. Guess they really didn't want users losing the tiny things... got an 8GB microSD, so there's not a lot of need to swap it out.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Casio Cassiopeia Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: