Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Determining actual RAM memory in iPaq H3955

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Compaq iPAQ Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whemme
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Determining actual RAM memory in iPaq H3955 Reply with quote

Is there somewhere in the default built-in software (such as a memory manager function) that I can access to determine the actual RAM memory installed in my iPaq H3955 pocket PC?

And if I had more memory via a SD memory card, will that memory manager tell me the total RAM memory installed?

I think my H3955 was supposed to have 64 MB of RAM but I have not been able to confirm that is what is actually installed.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By 'installed' you should understand that RAM on your iPAQ is not user-upgradeable. PocketPCTechs might be able to double your RAM if you sent it to them with some money... if that model is on their list of upgradeable Pocket PCs. And they have two schemes for upgrading memory, one of which actually doubles RAM, the other only adding a similar amount of storage memory but not affecting actual RAM volume.

If you tap the Start Menu icon, then Settings, then the System tab, then the Memory icon there, you will see a dialogue showing the amount of memory in total and the amount of memory currently available. There are indications of both storage memory and program memory. On an older device such as yours, these are both actually part of RAM, as memory was volatile in those devices. A card on the other hand is not usable as RAM, only as storage. You may install programs there, but some components will still be installed to RAM in the Windows folder and elsewhere such as the registry.

There may also be (sorry, can't remember) another applet under Settings > System which is called System Information. There you will see a Memory tab, where RAM total and ROM total are displayed.
whemme
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald,

Thanks for the response. I am a novice at understanding how the memory works in my H3955. I have ordered out a Sandisk 512 MB SD card which as I understand it, I can move an installed software program (which is the single purpose function I use this pocket PC for) from the existing 64 MB battery maintained RAM over to this SD memory card in order to free up more RAM. Moving that program over to the SD memory card would also fix another annoying problem which is that if I don't recharge my iPaq frequently enough, the battery runs down and I loose this software program and I have to reload it again from my laptop PC using active sync. With this software moved to the SD memory, I assume it will not be lost if the battery discharges too far.

Am I correct in my two assumptions above?
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are perhaps correct. How completely correct would vary a lot depending on the exact nature of the program you are using. If 100% of the program's related files are kept in the SD card, then certainly, this would work. But if the program is like the vast majority of Pocket PC software, it will also dump a number of files into \Windows and \Windows\AppMgr and the registry and perhaps even to system databases (only visible using a special software such as Phatware's dbExplorer or Kenny Goers' dbView). If that is the case, then installing to the SD card either by choosing that option during the PC-based installation (choosing No when asked whether to install to default location, then choosing the card from a menu) or by manually moving the files to the card will fail, the program will not work correctly or at all because there are missing elements.

Is the software available in CAB file format? Could you perhaps tell us what the software is so that we might check for this or other options? If it is, then you could just keep a spare CAB - a Cabinet file, or self-extracting installer archive) on the SD and install that should you need to do so while away from the PC. And if so, remember to take the precaution of marking the CAB file properties as Read Only (either on the PC or on the PPC if you have other software installed there which can do this, such as TotalCommanderCE for instance) so that it does not self-delete on execution. Newer PPCs come without that unfortunate trait, but your model will most certainly 'eat' a CAB installer on use.

With more information perhaps more help is possible. For what it's worth, there is some software which runs free of any registry or installed data files. My favourite email client for instance, nPOPuk, needs no installation. Just run the EXE and it works. It stores configuration data to an INI file which is generated on first use, and all email is stored as DAT files representing 'folders' from the program. So that sort of program is completely portable, and only a new shortcut need be placed into the Start Menu should one wish to move the program. Sadly, most programs are not so well designed.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Compaq iPAQ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: