Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to use an E-105 with Vista

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Casio Cassiopeia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HarveyB
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: How to use an E-105 with Vista Reply with quote

I want to set up my Cassiopeia E-105 to function as a desktop calendar screen (a way I used it several years ago) so my upcoming calendar is always at hand. Since way-back-when, Iíve upgraded to Windows Vista. Casio says at http://world.casio.com/ce/support/en/info_vista.html both that itís not supported and that it should work with Sync Center and/or Windows Mobile Device Center on Vista.

Iíve connected my device, set Windows Mobile Device Center to connect to COM1, matched my COM settings between the device and computer, connected the serial cable from the E-105ís dock, and from Connection Settings created a local connection on the E-105 that says it is connected. The Vista computer shows no sign of being connected to the E-105.
Two questions :
1: Does anyone know a way to get the E-105 to connect to my Outlook 2007 Calendar on Vista so I can use the E-105 as a calendar display?
2: Does anyone know a way to get the E-105 to connect to Vista for any useful purpose?

Note that I do have an external serial IR adaptor that I could use if needed instead of the E-105 dock.
Commanderraf
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows Vista is a tricky thing of the E-1xx series.

I own a E-100 and a E-125. I also own a laptop that uses Windows Vista home edition. The first time I tried to sync my E-125 (which is the one I use the most) I searched though the Web and found out that Microsoft labels it as non compatible with Windows Vista and the Windows Mobile Device Center (no problem, the computer I use to sync its is a desktop with Windows XP).

A few months ago I bought an IR USB adapter, and just for giggles I tried it on the laptop (which has no serial ports, by the way) and with the E-125. To my amazement, they linked and I created a partnership between them.

The thing is that this isn't supposed to happen because, to create an IR link you must first connect the PDA to your PC via a serial or USB cable. Since I don't have a working USB cable for my PDAs, and the laptop lacks a serial port, this was really weird.

Anyway, the IR link sometimes interrupts without any reason at all, but most of the time it works OK.

The funny thing is that I tried to sync my E-125 with the serial cradle using a Belkin Serial to USB adapter (that I bought at least 5 years ago) but it doesn't work at all (the PDA does recognize there is a connection, but after a few minutes it drops it, while Windows Vista does nothing).

So, to sum it up. Don't be afraid to try it out. You could get lucky (as I did with the IR connection) and the USB or the IR link will work for you, even if Microsoft says it won't.

-Commanderraf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Casio Cassiopeia Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: