Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still battling with the WiFi cards

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Casio Cassiopeia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Commanderraf
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Still battling with the WiFi cards Reply with quote

Greetings,

Two years (in sheer minutes it'll be three years) since my last post (http://forums.pocketpcfaq.com/viewtopic.php?t=18831), I'm back again with WiFi trouble and my trusty E-125 PDA.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=Little intro, you can skip it if you want-=-=-=-=-=-=

For starters, Microsoft had an event for us press in the beginning of December, and my PDA draw much attention, because it may not be up-to-date, but it has all the functionality of the modern Windows Mobile PDAs and Smartphones -except for being able to place calls- and people (even the Windows Mobile Representative for Mexico) were amazed on the reliability of my E-125.

I've been searching for some solutions on my newest problem, and all I've found is that the E-125 and prior Casio PDAs are less than trash. I've used mine through almost all of college (except the first year, I had a E-100) and it has saved me from many, many hard situations. When my brother bought a Zire 72 in 2006 he was amazed it had video and music playback, while my trusty Cassiopeia had that since 2000.

So, for those who stumble upon this post, keep your faith in your Casio PDA. Sure, it looks like a brick, but its performance is top-noch without all the bells and whistles mobile devices have this days.

-=-=-=-=-=-=End of Rant. The true explanation starts here-=-=-=-=-=-=

Whew... after relieving my chest of this, I'll get into business. I bought a Symbol Technologies WLAN card (the one that is listed here http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/peripherals/cfwirelesslan.htm). After doing some web-hunting I got the drivers for the E-125. Installed them and, in contrast to two years ago, the card was recognized by the drivers.

But it gave me a program that asks for the ESSID and the operating mode of... something. I supposed it was the wireless router -the one that handles all other WiFi elements in my house (from other PCs to the Wii, DS and PSP)- so I inputed its SSID and as Operating mode I changed it to "Ad-Hoc", so it gave me another option, for Channel. I chose 11 (since that's the one the router handles).

There are other tabs: Info (which displays info for the drivers and the card), IP config (where you can't do anything unless you select Static, but my router handles automatically the IPs of the other devices, so, why bother), Power (the profiles for the power usage of the card), Options (Sound, International roaming [?] and others), Peers (it show a table of sorts, with BSSID, Power mode, Transmit Rate and Supported Rates as the categories but nothing in the table itself) and Encryption, in which it asks for the encryption (open system, 40bit, 128 bit and Kerberus). I inserted my router's WEP key under 40 bit (although the router states that its 64bit).

But I can't use the card, nor any kind of connection between my PDA and the router or my PC. Anyone knows what the problem could be?

The router is an Arris modem/wireless WTM552G. The main PC is using Win...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Windows XP.

For more info, I'll post a follow up in a few minutes. My family is feasting on turkey and I'm not going to leave them eat the full thing without me.

-Commanderraf
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest inserting the key under 128bit and see if that works. If not, then I'd say try shutting off encrypted access to the router and trying to connect to it. If you are then able to connect, the encryption is the problem. If not then it is something else.

Also, Ad Hoc is unusual for a home AP connection, much more likely that it should be an Infrastructure connection type. Ad Hoc is used when connecting to another computer as a proxy, not for a direct connection to the Access Point.

Here is a large tutorial on the subject of connecting Pocket PCs to wireless routers:
http://wifi.aximsite.com/
Commanderraf
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Sorry for this post being so late, but had to wait until my whole family stopped using the WLAN to churn its entrails.

Gerard, I followed your recomendations on the card's program and it worked... kind of. It detected "a signal", which even asigned my E-125 a IP adress (???.???.2.7, which has sense, as all of the other devices occupy the addresses from 2 to 6) but every time I opened the program or inserted the card, a message appeared stating that it couldn't get an IP address from the DHCP server. (Odd, since it already has the IP address. Even if I go to the router's page, on the DHCP clients list it appears as ???.???.2.7 Unknown and the MAC address of the card).

I tried fiddling with the encryption tab, using the WEP key as the 128 bit encryption code (and filling the other 16 characters with zeros) and the 40 bit one, but it seems that the only one that gives results is the 128 bit key (although the WEP key is in 64 bit).

Finally, after everybody went to sleep, I could disable the WEP protection in the router. I also changed the Encryption mode in the E-125 to the "Unprotected" option. And, in all it's 320 by 240 glory, Google and Snopes appeared on my PDA.

I have to say, its faster that the Nintendo DS I frequently use to surf the web when I'm not near a computer (seems twice as fast), and it's obviously infinitely faster that my cellphone's G3 internet access.

So, after a day of tweaking configurations in various devices, I still have to find out if the Wii, PSP and the DS can work with a 128 bit WEP key. But in case they don't (which is very, very possible), does anyone has any other idea? I mean, using my current 64 bit key as a 128 bit one kind of worked (both devices recognized each other existence, but I couldn't establish a connection between them), so I believe that there has to be an option.

-Commanderraf

P.S.: Happy first -and second- day of 2009!
Commanderraf
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Finally! Reply with quote

I'm posting this from my E-125. Although I still have to figure out some problems (sometimes the card's software stops running, so I can't connect, other times the PPC locks up untill I remove the card from the CF card slot), I believe this problem is solved.

The fix? Set the WEP key as a 40 bit one. The same WEP key works for both encodings.

Still, I would like to keep this thread open if any problems arise.

Thanks for all your help.

-Commanderraf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recollection of such details is very foggy, as it has been quite a few years since my last Casio stopped working completely... but it seems to me likely that the lockup/CF card related problems might have something to do with power supply to that slot. You might try searching for discussions of CF slot power supplied while the device is suspended ('off' - though a Pocket PC of that vintage is never really off unless the battery is pulled out, wiping out all your data in RAM). There are a few tweaks utilities such as that by SK or PocketTweaks or Tweaks2K2.NET which will allow the user to change a value or two in the registry remotely, without deeper knowledge of registry settings. At least a couple of these utilities will allow among their options the setting of continued power to the slot while suspended.

Actually, looking into Tweaks2K2 just now I find that memory didn't serve well there; no such option included in this one. Perhaps it's in another, or maybe you could find a registry edit detailed in some forum or how-to page. Or maybe I'm just mis-remembering altogether. But it does seem to me that wireless cards, camera cards, and other CF devices often had problems with the Casio if left in the slot during suspend/awake cycles. I tended to pull the cards a lot as a result, to avoid waiting for soft resets to fix such things. That's probably why my CF slot died on the last Casio I was using, the EG-800, which had notoriously weak pin soldering to begin with.
Commanderraf
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was a simple nuisance now is a real problem. It seems that no matter what I do (turning of ma E-125 every now and then, soft reseting it with and without the WiFi card, pulling the card and letting the PDA and the card "cool off" [although they are at a normal temperature]) the problem arises every 15 minutes or so.

I don't know what to do, and before I never had touble with any CF peripheral (them beign a bunch of different CF memory cards or the Casio Camera which I've used for hours straight at different occasions).

Gerard, which is the software you recommend to make changes in the power supply? Which parameters do I have to change to solve this issue?

-Commanderraf

P.S.: I now remember a few days ago, after one lock-up, I left my PDA running (I didn't soft reset it or unplugged the card as usual) in my desk. 45 minutes later I saw a strange glow and noticed I had forgotten about it. It was still not running, so I took the card off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, did a bit of a Google search and found this posting from 2000 on PDAGold.com:

Pavel Koza wrote:

When you insert any CF card in a CF slot, hardware automatically starts to power it so you can use it. If you want to save some power even if a CF card is inserted, use this tweak. Every time you insert a CF card in a slot, you can choose whether to power it or not.

1. Search for the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\PCMCIA\.

2. Change the value of NoBatteryCheck to 0.

If you don't want to be bothered anymore, return 1 to the appropriate value.

And I just used a registry editor (the one included with Resco Explorer, but any will do) to browse to that key location and edit the value to 0. On next inserting a CF card into my Toshiba e830 a pop-up asked if I wanted to supply power to the slot while on battery power. Tapping 'yes' I was then able to use files on the card as normal. So I took out the CF card, then popped it in again and this time answered 'no', after which the CF card did not appear in any file manager and files on the card were not accessible.

So I do not know if this sort of tweak would suit your situation, but it seems likely that this is the one I was vaguely remembering when I posted that last comment.
peteb
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello all,

you seem to be having a similar issue to me
http://forums.pocketpcfaq.com/viewtopic.php?t=19604
i have a siemens sx45i and am attepmting to set it up with a symbol spectrum 24 (model LA-4137) wireless networker CF card i have installed the standard software which allows me to enter my ssid, wep credentials, static IP adress etc. it seems to ping the router and see its signal strength (or did) doesnt at the mo Sad my problem is choosing this adapter to go out onto the internet / intranet. i can setup the network adapters in connections in the PDA, but it cannot be chosen as a connection.
will have a look at the link above to see if it answers my conundrum

i also have a socket rugged CF 10/100 card
http://www.socketmobile.com/products/network-connectivity/10-100-ethernet/
to which i want to run on the device also want to run on this PDA if possible to run my telnet program i have installed, same proceedure should apply, so if anyone could let me know that would be great
all the best - keep the PPC2000 / CE 3 rockin'
Very Happy
ChrisDeHerrera
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
On the Socket Ethernet card, it came out after the Pocket PC 2000 shipped. Socket does not offer drivers for the Pocket PC 2000 so i doubt you can get it to work. Why? Because Microsoft swiched the driver model used between Pocket PC 2002 and Windows Mobile 2003 and they are incompatible.
http://www.tabletpctalk.com - Get the latest Tablet PC News
http://www.pocketpctalk.com - Get the latest Pocket PC News
http://www.mobilitytalk.com - Quickly view all the Pocket PC & Tablet PC News on one page
peteb
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw i did manage to get drivers from the very nice guys at socket, so if you need them i'll try to host them somewhere although the setup is still bugging me Sad
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Casio Cassiopeia Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: