Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-125 + WiFi Card = WTF??

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Casio Cassiopeia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Commanderraf
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: E-125 + WiFi Card = WTF?? Reply with quote

Greetings,

First of all, sorry for the harsh title, but what I've been through just asks for it.
Anyway, I bought a... well, generic WiFi card from eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Compact-Flash-CF-Wireless-Lan-WIFI-802-11b-Card-us1_W0QQitemZ200095003242QQihZ010QQcategoryZ44996QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ). The page states it can work with any Pocket PC Operating System, from Windows CE 2.11 to Windows Mobile 5.0. As I have a Casio Cassiopeia E-125 with Windows CE 3.0 I thought it wouldn't have any problem with it.

Wrong!!!

I recieved the package yesterday, it came with the CompactFlash card -just like the one in the picture- and a nifty 21 minute cd, wich included the drivers for the AirLive WL-1100CF WiFi card. After popping the CD into the cd reader, the autorun menu states that it has drivers for Pocket PC and for WinCE (as can be seen in http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wifiri7.jpg ). By clicking the WinCE menu a submenu appears which includes WinCE 3.0. By installing those drivers, everything appears to be all right untill when the ActvieSync Add/Remove Programs window appears, as it states that this program isn't compatible with the connected device, as if it was created for another OS (http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wifi2lb7.jpg ).
In the manual (a flimsy PDF includded within the CD) it states that, when compatibility problems arise, The Windows CE 3.0 can use the WinCE 2.11 drivers, so when I install those, it gets through the Add/Remove Programs without any problem, but if I try to run the program, nothing happens. After soft-reseting the PDA an error message appears (even before anything loads) that says "Cannot find 'PRISMSTA' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and all the required libraries are available". (as seen in http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wifi3vh4.jpg ... don't know why it saved it in b/w), although all the drivers are installed in the \Windows\ folder (this files are PRISMCFG.cpl, PRISMIOC.dll, PRISMNDS.dll and PRISMRES.dll). Even if I put this four files in the same folder as the exe (\Intersil PRISM Wireless LAN\ , the executable is called PRISMSTA.exe) the program doesn't run.
I haven't installed any other WiFi card in my PDA, so I doubt I erased any dll useful for this program, so the questions I hope someone in this forum can answer are:

What am I doing wrong?
Where can I download the missing file/driver so I can get this program running?
Is there any other (free) program that I can install instead so I can use my WiFi card? (based that, the PocketPC driver installer states that this program is "GENERIC FPRISM" whatever.)

Thanks for reading this long post, and in advance for any answer.

-Commanderraf
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have several problems as I can see so far. One is that you have fallen victim, as have so many before you, to Microsoftese. That is to say, the language of naming things similarly or identically, when in fact they are not the same things. Every Pocket PC since the iPAQ 36xx, Jornada 525, and Casio E-115 has run on a WinCE core. The same applies even to older Palm-size PC devices such as the Compaq Aero and Casio E-100. But the core and the OS are different, in Microsoftese, and so with the E-125 you have a Pocket PC running on a WinCE 3.01 (or something like that) core. WinCE apps cannot run on a Pocket PC, or that is... WinCE 2.11, as in Palm-size, can often run... but WinCE as in embedded devices, kiosks, what have you, are not compatible in software. So you need to install a Pocket PC version of the card's drivers.

Next is the problem of finding the appropriate driver installer. There have been a few iterations for Prism CF cards, and apparently there are at least 2, perhaps more versions of the Prism chipset for CF. You'll have a bit of googling on your hands there if you cannot find the right version on that '21 minute CD' (did you listen to the thing?).

Another problem, and this one strictly from my own experience; I once tried with a Casio EG-800 to get wireless working. Couldn't do it. It was a SparkLAN card, using, I think, the Prism ll chipset. I tried SparkLAN's driver, Meritline's version (an online sellar whose brand was on the card packaging) which was quite different but also based on the original Gemtek interface, and then a few other MIPS drivers. None would allow the program to run. Lots of fun, handfuls of hair torn out and all. Seems there was a problem with the MIPS (your processory type) compilation, as the ARM versions worked fine on an iPAQ 3835 and later a Dell X5.

I don't recognise that card, haven't seen the label before. But do a search for MIPS, Prism, 802.11b, and other relevant phrases, and see if you can't find a downloadable CAB file to tap in the device and install. Or a PC-based installation if that's all you can get (though they're usually unpackable as CAB files with WinRAR).

Oh, and the 'cannot find' on soft resets is coming from a shortcut to the application which the install placed into your device's \Windows\Startup folder. Delete that shortcut(s) and then soft reset. This should allow a fairly clean uninstall.

I recommend a very thorough backup of your device before playing around with Wi-Fi drivers. This game often results in having to do a few hard resets to clear the registry and file junk that various drivers leave behind. It's always best (Chris would say 'necessary') to install the correct driver before inserting the card. So playing with various softwares and the card could mean you either don't get to use the card, ever, or that you lose data if you haven't made a proper backup. Casio Backup is a disaster area, avoid it. Use Sprite if you can get it (though I think they'll no longer sell a MIPS version) or Activesync Backup for at least your PIM (though I think that's trash and unreliable), or whatever you can find to preserve your data on a CF card if that's important to you.
Commanderraf
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings again,

Just a little update. After making a full backup and hard-resetting, the software for the Windows CE 2.11, when trying to run it, displays the same message ("Cannot find 'PRISMSTA' (or one of its components)..."), and the drivers for Windows CE 3.0 still refuses to install.
Following Gerard's recomedation I searched in Google different terms related to my problem, and the only relevant answer I found was to download the LucentTECH/Orinoco WaveLAN softwre, because it -in theory- works with any PRISM WiFi Card... but it doesn't work with mine (at leas it runs and, the first time I plugged my WiFi Card, the little green LED it has blinked for a split second, without further improvement).
Anyone knows what I can do? I'm going to restore my PDA as it was a few minutes ago, but I really want this WiFi card to work with my PDA.

-Commanderraf

P.S.: I tried to contact the card seller, but I haven't recieved any answer.
ChrisDeHerrera
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Did you perform a hard reset and install the driver before inserting the card into the device?
http://www.tabletpctalk.com - Get the latest Tablet PC News
http://www.pocketpctalk.com - Get the latest Pocket PC News
http://www.mobilitytalk.com - Quickly view all the Pocket PC & Tablet PC News on one page
Commanderraf
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

Yes, I did a full back-up, then a hard reset -without the CF card in the port- and, just setting the home city, without doing anything else (not even setting a partnership with my computer) I installed the drivers, and the result was the same as before (Couldn't find FPRISM or one of its components...). When inserting the WiFi card, nothing happends if the driver is installed. If it isn't, the stock message of "Unkown card inserted in the port, please specify a name" or whatever appears.

Thanks for trying to help me out.

-Commanderraf
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Casio Cassiopeia Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: