Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:41 pm Post subject: Help with Internet Explorer for WinCE 3.0!!!!
I've been an user of a Cassiopeia E-125 for 2 years now (before, I had a E-100 for a year). As I am a student, I need to have a lot of information for expositions and stuff, so I downloaded the CIA World Factbook to my trusty PDA. I used the native Internet Explorer and had no problems, but there were times which I needed to check the info on two different countries, and travelling back and forth in the Explorer was such a drag I decided to install another browser. I remembered I had the Folliage Soft iBrowser, so I installed it.
Anyway, everything was going well until I discovered that I couldn't use the iBrowser and the Explorer at the same time. This, besides the fact that the iBrowser doesn't wrap the text to the window, made me decide to remove the mentioned browser and start a seach for a new one...
Having to do a final essay, I downloaded some Wikipedia pages to my PDA, so I could read them on-the-go, but then the explorer refused to open them, stating that There is no application associated with "nameofthepagehere". Run the application first, then open this file from within the application. Even if I try to open the pages from the Explorer window (through the Address line).
Big deal. So I though that by tweaking the Registry editor I could return the IE to open by default the HTML and HTM files, but in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT group, under .htm and .html the only registries names are "Content Type" and the data is "text/html". Further below, in the same HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT the only similar class that appears is htmlfile, with the "DefaultIcon" (Name: Default Data: iexplore.exe) and the Shell divisions. Under this one list one there is the Open/Command which has another entry (Name: Default Data: iexplore.exe %1) but I believe this isn't important in this issue, as nothing happens when trying to open internet pages that are stored in the PDA.
I know that this is old technology for most of this forum users... but this is an amazing device for me. Can anyone help me?
There are probably registry entries which you're not finding which were stolen by iBrowser. I once installed iBrowser (from Conduits) on my old E-115, and regretted it profoundly. Of course I'd done this while knowing that it was designed for Palm-size PC, not Pocket PC, so no point getting mad at the developer. And the experience helped me learn a lot about dealing with registry corruption.
What I have found simplest to use in repairing this sort of thing is Pocket Tweak, a Settings applet from Tillanosoft.
Install the MIPS version - it's free - then do a soft reset. You'll find Pocket Tweak then in Settings > System. In the Files tab, scroll down until you can select HTM, HTML, and whatever else might be broken (possibly XML, but I doubt it), then you can independently associate both the icon and the tap-launch associations for those file types.
A couple of notes on this:
- You will need gsGetFile.dll installed, or the browse dialogue will prevent you going anywhere but My Documents - you need to go into the Windows folder for iexplore.exe. Install that, then use Pocket Tweak.. Your file open dialogues will be altered in many other programs too, for the better.
- I have found Pocket Tweak is a bit 'forgetful' if I try to modify more than one thing at a time,, sometimes, so it's probably best to change something, exit the applet, then launch it again to make the next change.
If this fails, or perhaps before you do all that, go to Windows and find Welcome.exe. Launch that and follow the steps, as though you had just done a hard reset, except no data is lost. This might repair the file associations for Pocket IE, or not.
Thanks man... I the steps you told me to do, and it worked. Although the downloaded dll does nothing, and the welcome.exe solution didn't help, after some minor tweaking, got the Explorer to open the htm files.
Thanks a bunch!!!
P.S.: After this ordeal... Which good browser for WinCE 3.0 do you recomend?? _________________ -Commanderraf
Hm, I forgot that Tillanosoft probably puts their own tGetFile.dll into the installer for Pocket Tweak these days. I think they started doing that a couple of versions ago. It does more or less the same thing as gsGetFile.dll, except only for programs which specifically support it. tGetFile won't, for example, make the browser in the attachment dialogue of the native Inbox application global, where gsGetFile.dll does. tGetFile.dll works with Pocket TV and a couple of other apps, and of course with Tillanosoft pNotepad and perhaps others of their applications.
Regarding browser options, you have not much to choose from. If Access provides a MIPS version of Netfront, then get that. If not, which I think is the case, the best you can probably do is to grab the freeware ftxPBrowser, which is a standalone EXE acting as a shell for Pocket IE's functions. It expands PIE functionality into tabs and a few other tricks Microsoft didn't feel like putting into the older PPCs, or for that matter the newer ones. You just put the executable anywhere you like, make a shortcut to it if you like, and launch it. Works rather well. I think there's a MIPS version.
Another option, and one I used with my old Casio EG-800, is the MultiIE plugin for Pocket IE. It doesn't add Java like Netfront does, but it does give tabbed browsing (or multi-window, as you prefer), and a host of other features.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Copyright 2001-2010, Chris De Herrera, All Rights Reserved